Thursday, August 2, 2012

Purge

I knew it had to happen eventually.

So long as my pantry sat full of pasta and instant potatoes and chips and snacks and sugary cereals, they were a problem. They were a temptation. They were there.

But cleaning out a pantry...my pantry...is a huge job. It takes a couple hours, at least. Often more. And I just hadn't had the heart to do it.

But today I did.

Why today? 

Hmmm...maybe it was the angry energy from being frustrated with myself for falling off the wagon and indulging in three breadsticks at Olive Garden. (I even researched their nutrition info online and had chosen the Venetian Apricot Chicken - meat & veggies - instead of my usual favorite pasta with alfredo sauce, but then killed it with the breadsticks.) Maybe it was the mega trip to the grocery store and bringing home groceries built around a 10-day menu I sat and planned last night - 10 dinners that are "good" dinners - meat & veggies & fruit. It definitely helped that I had nothing else going on this afternoon, so I had no excuses about needing to go anywhere.

In any case, today was the day. And now my pantry is more healthy-full than I think it has been in the 9 years we've lived in this house. The fridge is in pretty good shape, too - lots of fruit, some veggies, lots of Greek yogurt, a good supply and variety of meat.

The freezers still need to be cleaned out. Lots of snacky stuff still lives in the deep freezer in the garage, but I have to wait until Jim's headed to take the trash off before I clean that out. In the meantime, it feels so good to look in the pantry and see this:


No comments:

Post a Comment