Saturday, August 18, 2012

Double Victory!

Yesterday I felt like I could take on the world and win. 

Okay, I probably couldn't. But I at least conquered two little corners of it.

First I had a personal best time of getting my four miles done in under an hour - 59:37!!! I jogged somewhere between 2:30 and 3:00 of that, and the rest was walking. I couldn't have done it without Ms. Sandi by my side, with her Marine stride and tempo to set the pace. But we did it. (And then I collapsed afterward.) ;)

Then...Guesswhatguesswhatguesswhat!!!!

(WHAT?!?!)

Hubby & I took the grandkidlet to McDonald's for supper so he could play on the playground. And I figured out a way to get in and out of there for only 310 calories!!!  (Yeah, I don't think of eating out in terms of $$ anymore. It's all about the calories now.)  

Grilled chicken classic, no mayo (so it does have lettuce & tomato), feed the top half of the bun to the birds that are always hanging around, have a side salad with the low fat Italian dressing. Add a Diet Coke and we're good to go! (BTW, I have always shied away from grilled chicken at restaurants because they seem to insist on marinading it and I never know if I'll like the marinade or not. But this was surprisingly good.)

Woo-hoo!

This has become my new battle plan. Sit down at some point (soon) and research the nutrition guides on all the places we like to eat. (Thank heaven for the internet!) I'll figure out my go-to meal plans for each of them, so I'll be prepared no matter where we end up on the spur of the moment. (So long as I don't find more places that decide green beans are "seasonal." Sheesh.) Then I won't even have to look at a menu when I walk in, so I won't be tempted.

On the other hand, the things that I thought were sooooo good before...they're not having such an impact on me now. For example, when I did go to Olive Garden the other day for lunch with a friend, I had the whole wheat linguine with alfredo and roasted chicken. Now there's no getting around the fact that alfredo sauce is a diet buster. And it used to be the kind of thing that I would eat on my pasta and then clean up what was left in the bowl by using a breadstick...and this was *after* having an extra side of alfredo brought out to use as a dipping sauce for my breadsticks. I love alfredo sauce.

Maybe it was the different pasta. Or maybe it's just a month of cleaning my system and my palate. But that stuff didn't tickle my taste buds the way it once did. It was more like, "Eh, take it or leave it." So in the future, it'll be easier to leave it.

I'm finding this to be the case with a lot of my former "favorites." They aren't necessarily my default orders anymore. And the times when I sit and watch someone else eating something and wish I was eating it too...those are dwindling as well.

Just another small step in the right direction.

3 comments:

  1. You are doing great! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing great! :) At McD's, which I have to occasionally be at with the kids, I get the grilled chicken bacon ranch salad, and leave off the dressing. (It doesn't really need it, and you can get the lowfat italian instead if you really need something. :)) That works out pretty well. I have also gotten that chicken sandwich you ordered, had them leave off the mayo and add mustard, and extra, extra lettuce. Then I wrap it in the lettuce and ditch the bun all together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhh...I like that double lettuce idea, too. Thanks. L-A!

      Delete