Friday, August 3, 2012

A Day Off - NOT!

The plan is for me to walk Monday through Thursday, take Friday off, walk Saturday, and take Sunday off. So today should have been a day off. And that was okay, because I had to be out this morning to work early and wouldn't be able to do my first-thing-of-the-morning walk.

But then a funny thing happened after I finished working.

The temps were good - mid-70s. It was overcast and breezy. Perfect conditions for walking.

So I went home, changed clothes, got the hubby, and we went for a "casual" walk of 4.4 miles, starting around 11 a.m. "Casual" simply means I wasn't really pushing to reach any certain time. I was just walking for the fun of it. The beautiful part is that "just walking" at this point was still better than the "pushing it" that I was doing the first couple days, three weeks ago. In fact, a couple of the casual miles were timed right around 16 minutes each, even though the average time was 17 minutes/mile.

Do you get this? I wanted to get out and walk. I didn't have to today, but I WANTED to.

I've NEVER wanted to exercise! I think I actually surprised the hubby when I didn't just come home, plop down on the couch, and start typing.* 

Now, let's be honest. I'm still waiting for that phenomenon where the more you exercise, the more energy you have. Because at this point, I get out, I walk, I come home, and it's a major effort to do anything the rest of the day. Even just walking from one room to another, my legs have that "slogging through wet cement" feel that takes a concentrated effort to get them to work. Today, after doing the 4.4 miles late this morning, I've barely moved off the couch. (I've been watching the Olympics. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) So the balance of the day is tough.

But still...I wanted to go walking. Right now I'm not recognizing this person who is inhabiting my body.

*It should be explained that my job is as a court reporter and legal transcriptionist. It is my job to go to pre-trial depositions, record them, then go home and transcribe them. Hence, 80% or more of my job consists of sitting at home typing, while the other 20% involves going out someplace, and sitting while I record and type.


  1. Go Jenni... you should add a 'follow' button too! :)

  2. Yes, add that follow button! And this is working now.