Sunday, September 9, 2012

Away from Home

Tonight I'm away from home. Tonight, I'm actually in another state.

I had plenty of time this morning to get my walking done, but honestly, I really kind of wanted to wait until we got to the hotel so I could hit the workout room.

For one thing, it would be something different. I could work on a treadmill rather than a trail. I thought the better controlled environment would be more comfortable. I thought I would sweat less. I was wrong, but it still was fun to do something different.

For another thing, I've never had a reason to use a workout room, so I wanted to be able to say, "I need to go to the workout room." We even arrived at the hotel with plenty of time to spare so I'd have time to work out before our dinner reservations.

And then there's the fact that all day I've been thinking of Kevin. You may have heard of him - Kevin Sorbo. If you're of the geeky persuasion, you may recognize the name right away. If not, maybe it'll ring a bell if I mention "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" or "Andromeda." Extremely nice guy. Openly Christian in a business that isn't always friendly to that kind of thing. 

I had the immense honor of working with him at a convention a handful of years ago. Along with his warmth and kindness, the one logistical thing I remember is that we had to find him a gym because he had to stick with his workout routine. Of course, now we know that he was fighting at the time to come back from having a stroke. But he also has built a career based on his physicality, and maintaining that takes work, too. So each day, we found him some time and a place to work out.

And even though today was kind of special because I was in a different environment, I really do the same thing every day - I carve out the time and find a place and a way to get done what I have to do. 

Whether it's walking a trail at the regular time of 8:30 a.m., or walking at 7:00 a.m. because it's going to be a busy day, or walking at 2:00 p.m. and in 95-degree temps after work is done, or  treadmilling in a hotel workout room at 5:30 p.m. before you go to supper, or doing conditioning exercises on the living room floor at 10:00 at night because you HAVE to get them done that day but you just couldn't make yourself do them any earlier...whenever, wherever, you have to carve out the time and find a place to do what you have to do. It's Just. That. Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment