Sunday, September 23, 2012

Taking a Break

Well, it wasn't intentional, but this past week turned into something of a mental - and physical - break. I was still careful with my eating, but not strict. And I still did my walking, but also allowed myself to completely *gasp* take a day off yesterday, which my knees appreciated greatly. 

(Two days in a row of not walking - I felt so guilty!)

I've reached that point where there's nothing new to share. (Well, that's not true - I still haven't shown off the pictures I took of our primary 4-mile stretch of trail.) It's just the same-old-same-old each week: eat sensibly, with a base calorie allotment of 1400 a day (which increases on days when I "earn" more calories by walking); walk a minimum of 20 miles a week; and do some conditioning work along the way. The pounds don't fall off like they did at first - it takes effort now. (Unless you count the three pounds that disappeared magically when I changed to a newer, more precise scale.) :)  "Plain" eating is getting old, and I'm getting tired of lean meats and salads.

Like I said, it wasn't intentional. I even went grocery shopping Monday with a list of good, acceptable dinners to fix for the week. But this happened...and that happened...and it wasn't dinners so much as lunches that chipped away at the good eating. 

And, knowing that I had to work Friday, Sandi & I were out walking for four days in a row, Monday-Thursday. Remember when I was describing Day Three? (See: "10-Day Week?") Well, you can imagine how a Day Four feels. So I took my planned day off on Friday. and then yesterday this happened...and that happened...and it got to the point where the only way I'd be able to walk would be to hike the neighborhood late, late in the day. So that's when I gave myself a second day off in a row.

Shoot, I may even make it a full weekend and take today off, too. 

(It's a little after 5:00 p.m. as I type this, so there's still time to go if I want...or not.)

However, we're now six days out from doing the Hoosiers Outrun Cancer 5K. This will not be the week to slack off. And, frankly, the Run couldn't have come at a better time. It's not necessarily something I have to work toward - I know I can do 5K with no problem. I do it every day that I'm out. But what it does is give me a reason to not allow myself TOO much time off so that I don't lose ground heading into next weekend.

To end on a good note: it's really nice to have lost as much as I have so that even a "soft" week like this isn't going to completely undo what has been done. I know I can't have a lot of weeks like this, but one every couple of months is kind of nice.

**********************************************************************************

REMINDER: I'm not asking directly for donations to support my efforts in next weekend's Walk/Run, but if anyone wishes to make a donation as Jim & I walk in honor of our mothers - both of whom lost battles to cancer - you can do so at the link below. This will take you to the home page for the event. Go to the index on the left, click "Support Participant" and type in "Bohn" as the last name. That should bring up a link to our page.


No comments:

Post a Comment